Remember, please don’t arrive without contacting us first. Call (828) 669-7271 (leave a message) or email us at to make a reservation to visit. Please don’t make travel plans until we’ve called or emailed you back to confirm your visit. This is important! Thank you.
Flying to Western North Carolina:
- Asheville Airport (“Hendersonville-Asheville” Airport) is an hour away—newcomers often take longer due to mountain roads.
- Greenville-Spartanburg (South Carolina) Airport is about 1½ hours away.
- Charlotte Airport (North Carolina) is about 2 hours, 45 minutes away.
- (We don’t recommend the Raleigh/Durham Airport: it’s about 4 hours away.)
Getting Here From the Airport:
You can rent a car or call one of the following (in advance):
(1) Black Mountain Cab, $72 one way. Their driver knows where Earthaven is. 828-230-1121.
(2) Areawide Cab. 828-713-4710.
Note: YOUR GPS WILL PROBABLY NOT GET YOU HERE. Until recently, Google Maps and other resources did not lead to our actual location. You can set it to 126 Camp Elliott Rd, Black Mtn, 28711, and follow the directions from Stone Mountain School, below.
From the Asheville Airport: There are two ways to get here: (1) The easier, less scenic way that takes major freeways, and (2) the more scenic way on winding country roads. They both take about 50 minutes. If you’ll be traveling after dark, we recommend the first way.
(1) The easier way. Go east on the road outside the Asheville Airport to the WEST I-26 on-ramp. Go west on I-26 towards Asheville. Just before Asheville turn onto the I-40 EAST exit and go east on I-40 to exit 73 at the town of Old Fort. Then follow the directions for “From Interstate 40,” below.
(2) The more scenic way. Go east on the road outside the Asheville Airport to the EAST I-26 on-ramp. Travel on east I-26 and get off at the second exit, Highway 64/Hendersonville. Turn left over the freeway onto Hwy 64/Bat Cave. Go about 25-30 minutes (winding road in some places) until the T-intersection with Hwy 9. Turn left onto Hwy 9, then take the next immediate right, which is also Hwy 9. (Hwy 9 jogs here.) Then follow the directions for “From the south,” below.
From the Greenville-Spartanville Airport: Take Hwy 85 East to I-26. Take I-26 West towards Asheville. Just before Asheville turn onto the I-40 EAST exit and go east on I-40 to exit 73 at the town of Old Fort. Then follow the directions for “From Interstate 40,” below.
From the Charlotte Airport: Take I-77 north to I-40 WEST in the town of Statesville. Go west on I-40 to exit #73 in the town of Old Fort. The follow the directions for “From Interstate 40,” below.
From Asheville: Follow the directions for “From Interstate 40″ below.
From Interstate 40 (east or west): Take exit 73 at Old Fort, heading south on Bat Cave Road for 8.5 miles, and take a left on Camp Elliott Road.
Alternate route from the west: take Hwy. 9 south from Black Mountain for 9.5 miles then left onto Old Fort Road; you will cross a steel bridge. [To find the turn, follow signs for Gateway Mountain, because the Old Fort Road sign is down.] After turning go 3 to 4 miles, and turn right on Camp Elliott Road.
From the south: Take Hwy. 9 north from Lake Lure/Bat Cave for about 7 miles, take a right on Old Fort Road (look for the road sign on the left), go 3 to 4 miles, turn right on Camp Elliott Road.
After turning onto Camp Elliott Road: Go about a mile down Camp Elliott Road, past Stone Mountain School. After the school, please reduce your speed to 15 mph. You will come to the end of the pavement, where the road forks, with Full Circle Trail on the right, and Another Way straight ahead through an open metal gate. Proceed through this gate, and you are at Earthaven. The Earthaven speed limit is 10 mph. Cross one bridge and look for parking on the left before you reach the next stream. Tours start at the Visitor Kiosk on the right.